Wednesday, October 8, 2008

friendships

Hunting for true friends my age is hard to find in a world of superficiality and greed. What happened to conversation until 3 AM and hikes in the mountains that looped in both directions until legs could not stumble over another rock in the path?

Lately, people in their early 20s have severely disappointed me in their lack of creativity and emotion. I try to hang with the crowd, but the smoke in bars pollutes my mind, and I am not able to foster any intelligent conversations with people I meet. I have come to the conclusion that age is only a number, and if 30, 40, or 50-something year old people can spark my mind and keep conversation interesting, I will gravitate in that direction.

The best times I have had lately have been playing board games, golfing, hiking, and laughing with friends of all ages. Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of the Y generation, I will forget that boundaries of age even exist. In the end, a true friend is there through the hard times because they envision good times are to follow. All along, I have had true friends waiting at my fingertips—now is the time to let them in.

No comments: